What is Improving Me?
We are a partnership of 27 NHS organisations across Cheshire and Merseyside aiming to improve the experiences of women and children. The Partnership is one of the Vanguard New Care Model initiatives and one of seven maternity pioneers in the country.
Nationally, New Care Models are redesigning health and care services for the future by developing new ways to improve care for patients. Improving Me supports the local development of four service areas. These are:
Working closely together, we will engage with the people who use these services and create a more sustainable and person centred model of care.
- To provide safe, high quality, equitable maternity, gynaecology, paediatrics and neonatal services
- To reduce variation across services and improve outcomes
- To deliver excellent experiences for women, babies and their families
- To align with other reviews and NHS priorities which promote localised service delivery
- To support individuals in prioritising their own health and wellbeing by adopting facilitative and enabling approaches which support individuals to be more autonomous and in control
Improving Me is addressing the challenges facing services for women and children locally by creating a new approach between commissioners , clinicians and providers that goes beyond organisational boundaries.
These challenges include:
- Increased demand on services and the presentation of women, babies, children and young people with more complex needs who require more care and support;
- Variation in the experience of people who use these services and also in clinical outcomes, safety and quality;
- Challenges in managing the transition between services and different levels of need, and from children’s services to adult focused services;
- Organisational boundaries that are getting in the way of collaboration to deliver improvements in services and real change;
- Workforce challenges including recruitment, retention, retirement, skills mix and deployment of staff;
- Ability of services to meet regulatory and other clinical standards;
- Financial sustainability.