Pregnant women new parents & cost-of-living crisis in Cheshire & Merseyside
12 December 2023
Maternity Action & NHS Cheshire & Merseyside Women’s Health & Maternity (WHaM) Programme discuss the cost-of-living crisis.
Date: Wednesday 24th January 2024
Time: 10 am - 12 pm
The needs of pregnant women and new mothers have received little attention in public debates about the cost-of-living crisis, but these women face particular challenges as low rates of pay during a period of maternity leave combine with rising prices.
Join Maternity Action and the NHS Cheshire and Merseyside Women’s Health and Maternity (WHaM) Programme as we discuss how the cost-of-living crisis is impacting pregnant women and new mothers. The session will also showcase some local responses supporting women and families, including Maternity Action’s health justice partnership work.
We are pleased to be joined by the current High Sheriff of Merseyside, Dr Ruth Hussey CB, OBE, DL, to open the session and by Catherine McClennan, Director of the NHS Cheshire and Merseyside Women’s Health and Maternity Programme, as event chair.
The session will look both at the impact of the cost of living crisis and practical responses with time for participant discussion and questions.
We will be joined by a fantastic line-up of speakers including:
- Ros Bragg, Director at Maternity Action
- Carol Johnson-Eyre, CEO Citizens Advice Wirral
- Dr Angela Kerrigan, Consultant Midwife at Wirral Women’s and Children’s Hospital
- Dr Sophie Wickham, Institute of Population Health, University of Liverpool
- Dr Ian Sinah, Professor within the Division of Child Health at the University of Liverpool and Consultant Respiratory Paediatrician